Cornbread is a staple side dish in our household. We often eat a certain boxed brand for convenience, but let’s be honest. It’s not always the best. Sometimes you just need an easy homemade cornbread recipe to take your tastebuds to another level.
We serve cornbread with almost any meal that has gravy or a sauce, but especially with greens, BBQ and stews. The nice thing about cornbread is its flexibility / versatility. It can be warmed and served with jam and butter for breakfast, served as a side to a soup for lunch and as mentioned above it can accompany several main dishes for dinner.
This cornbread made from scratch is so good and moist that you’ll probably never want to go back to the boxed brands!
Try this recipe, tweak it to your taste and let me know what you think!
WATCH ME MAKE EASY HOMEMADE CORNBREAD!
- 2½ Cups cornmeal
- 1½ Cup flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 TSP kosher salt
- 4 TSP baking powder
- 1 TSP baking soda
- ⅔ Cup milk
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 TBSP Butter
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees & place cast iron skillet in oven to heat.
- In a large bowl or mixer, combine dry ingredients.
- Add milk, cream, eggs and mix.
- Add melted butter and mix.
- Remove the skillet from the oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Butter skillet with the TBSP of unmelted butter.
- Pour cornbread batter into the skillet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.