Grandma D’s old fashioned homemade meatloaf recipe came straight from my grandmother’s cookbook. My mother gave me her old cookbook full of her favorite recipes she used long ago. Although Grandma Dressel (aka Grandma D) may be gone and never got to meet my children, they can still enjoy a small part of her by eating the same foods and recipes she made for her children.
This recipe originally came from Grandma D’s daughter, my Aunt Linda. She made this meatloaf recipe and earned her Girl Scout cooking badge with it. She found the recipe in a kids cookbook from the local library, her mom got the ingredients and it became a family favorite from then on. My Aunt now uses Rice Krispies instead of corn flakes and it’s my Uncle’s favorite!
It’s important for me to teach my kids not only about food, but also about where they come from; their heritage. That means sharing family recipes with them.
It was a really special experience making this meatloaf from scratch with my 3-year-old son. I’m sure Grandma would be proud! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do and perhaps this could become part of your family’s recipe heritage too.
WATCH ME MAKE GRANDMA D’S OLD FASHIONED HOMEMADE MEATLOAF!
- 1LB Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- 1 Small Onion (Half of Large Onion), Diced
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1 Cup Cornflakes or Breadcrumbs
- 2 Celery Stalks, Diced (Optional)
- ½ Cup Tomato Sauce (can also use Ketchup)
- ½ Cup Water
- 3 TSP Brown Sugar
- 1 TSP Mustard
- Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees.
- Combine Beef and egg, mix in bowl.
- Add Onion, Celery and Salt.
- Add Cornflakes or Breadcrumbs and mix.
- Place on cookie sheet and form into loaf shape.
- Cover with sauce.
- Bake 45 minutes, turn and bake additional 10 to 15 minutes.