I know a lot of families cook a whole turkey for their Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday meal. But when you have a smaller gathering like we do, an oven roasted turkey breast is a great alternative. If you are only cooking one smaller turkey breast, roasting time is definitely quicker (we are doing two for this recipe because we like plenty of leftovers). With 2 turkey breasts, it took about three and a half hours. One 6 – 8 pound, unstuffed breast should be done in about two and a half hours.
A turkey breast also comes out much juicer and more moist than a whole turkey. This recipe is so flavorful, tender and tasty! I can definitely tell the difference and prefer it over the dried out meat that you usually get after cooking a large bird. We also prefer white meat, so nothing is going to waste.
A reminder, these ingredients are for 2 turkey breasts. If you are only making one, you can cut the ingredients in half. Though the oranges and celery go around the turkey and are for flavoring, so add as much as you like.
I also brined the turkey beforehand for 2 days using this recipe here. This gives you an even juicer turkey and adds more flavor. Hope you enjoy!
WATCH ME MAKE AN OVEN ROASTED TURKEY BREAST!
- 2 6 LBS Turkey Breasts
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, Sliced
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Yellow Onion, Sliced
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Orange Sliced
- 2 Celery Stalks, Rough Chopped
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock, for pan
- Canola Oil
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Rosemary
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- Combine everything except orange and Celery in microwave safe dish. Boil in Microwave for 5 Minutes.
- Fill cavities with boiled mixture, rosemary and thyme.
- Place orange slices and Celery around base of turkey breasts. Additional chicken stock and any leftover boiled mixture.
- Coat breasts with canola Oil and rub it in. Optional use Butter instead.
- Roast in oven uncovered at 500 degrees on lowest rack for 30 minutes.
- Cover breasts with aluminum foil, lower temperature to 350 degrees for another 3 - 3.5 hours.
- Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Carve and serve.