Pound cake is a very old recipe going back centuries. The original pound cake earned its name due to the measurements of ingredients; it is literally 1 pound each of butter, eggs, flour and sugar.
This easy pound cake recipe is about the traditional with the addition of vanilla and orange extract. This gives a very subtle hint of an orange cream flavor, but it doesn’t overwhelm the cake.
This is probably one of the most simple baking recipes to make and a great starting point for anyone looking to test the waters of baking. Pound cake is also a standard holiday cake, so it can be a great addition to your Christmas or Thanksgiving menu!
What I like most about this dessert is how versatile it is. You can serve it with icing or powdered sugar. You can add all sorts of fruits and spices. Or you can do a simple one without all the frills like I did and still enjoy an absolutely delicious, moist, and rich pound cake! I hope you try it and enjoy this recipe!
WATCH ME MAKE AN EASY POUND CAKE MADE FROM SCRATCH!
- 1 LB Flour, (3⅓ Cups All-purpose or 4½ Cups Cake Flour)
- 1 LB Sugar
- 1 LB Eggs (8 Extra-large)
- 1 LB Butter, Softened
- 1 TSP Vanilla (optional)
- 1 TSP Orange Extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream Butter and Sugar together in a blender.
- Once above is creamed add one egg at a time and continue to blend.
- Gradually blend in Flour.
- Add Vanilla and Orange Extract, blend.
- Pour into 1 tube pan or 2 9x5 loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan/s and serve warm or continue to let cool on cooling racks.